The architect who oversaw its design was Sedefkar Mehmet Aga, better known as a student of Sinan (the greatest architect ever seen in the Ottoman Empire). Not only was it built to serve as a mosque, but its huge surrounding complex also held a medrese (theological school), turbe (tomb), hospital, caravanserai, primary school, public kitchen and market, although the hospital and caravanserai were destroyed in the nineteenth century.
After the public kitchens were destroyed in a fire in 1970, they were restored and incorporated into the School of Industrial Art. It presently serves as the Dean’s Office for the Marmara University.
The Blue Mosque – Practical Information
- The Blue Mosque is open all day except during prayer times.
- Architect / Style: : Sedefkar Mehmet Aga / Ottoman style
- Open Days: : Every day, all day, except during prayer times.
- Recommended: The Ultimate Tour – Old City & Bosphorus in 1 Day – See as much as possible!
More Istanbul Tourist Attractions:
- Back to all Istanbul Attractions | View Map of Istanbul
- Next Attraction: hagia sophia
- Or see Istanbul City Tour with Blue Mosque
- The Blue Mosque
- Hagia Sofia
- Topkapi Palace
- Suleymaniye Mosque
- Rumeli Fortress
- Pera & Golden Horn
- Princes’ Islands
- Chora Church
- Dolmabahce Palace
- Beylerbeyi Palace
- Galata Tower
- Jewish Interest Sites in Istanbul
- Underground Cistern
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Istanbul Map